Washington, DC Office
Cody Bannon is an associate whose practice focuses on representations of public housing authorities and non-profit and for profit developers engaged in affordable housing development. He brings a wealth of experience in both the public and private sector to his clients, having served as a Presidential Management Fellow at HUD and previously worked in the real estate development and brokerage industry in Arizona.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Underwrote a $53 million FHA multifamily loan and obtained approval from the HUD National Loan Committee.
- Drafted Housing Assistance Program renewal contract comfort letters and processed the associated contract assignments.
- Developed the HUD standard operating procedure for the Transfer of Physical Assets and processed applications under it.
- Represented an affordable housing cooperative regarding its McKinney Act Loan with the DC Housing Finance Agency.
- Counseled a non-profit youth organization on financial and organizational regulatory compliance with the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, DC Office of Tax and Revenue, and US Internal Revenue Service.
- Advocated on behalf of an affordable housing cooperative for a feasible loan repayment plan with the DC government.
- Briefed a Tax Credit Pilot loan committee member on project compliance with HUD guidelines prior to a committee vote.
- Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program Basics and Closing the Deal, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law Boot Camp, October 2018
- Reinventing Public Housing, New York State Association for Affordable Housing Annual Update New York Affordable Housing Conference, September 2018
- Tax Credit Development 101 for Small and Medium Housing Authorities, Maryland Association of Housing and Redevelopment Agencies Spring Conference, May 2018
- The Latest on Project-Based Vouchers, National Leased Housing Association Mid-Year Membership Meeting, January 2018
- Navigating Today’s World of Mixed Finance—Legal Strategies for Funding and Development, Housing Development Law Institute NAHRO Conference, October 2017
Awards and Professional Activities
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Housing and Community Development Law
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, ULI Housing Initiatives Council 2017-2018
- Member, New York State Bar Association
Major Prior Work Experience
- Presidential Management Fellow, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Multifamily Housing
- Community and Economic Development Law Clinic, American University Washington College of Law
- Center Human Rights & Humanitarian Law, American University Washington College of Law
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the Inspector General
- Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, Bankruptcy Judges Division
- Kyle Moyer & Company, Public Affairs Consulting
American University Washington College of Law, J.D.
- Reports Editor, International Law Review
American University School of International Service, M.A. International Affairs
Arizona State University, B.S. Housing and Urban Development cum laude
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Virginia Bar