Dwayne W. Barrett
Nashville, TN Office
Dwayne Barrett is a Member of Reno & Cavanaugh with a broad range of transactional experience on issues relating to affordable housing and federal and state tax issues, including: low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) developments, GO Zone tax credits, tax-exempt bond financing, tax increment financing, Affordable Housing Program (AHP) Funds, Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds, HOME funds, and mixed-finance transactions. His experience also includes drafting state legislation, structuring numerous joint ventures, and appeals of property tax matters.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Represented developer in acquisition of affordable housing portfolio of approximately 2,600 units in Louisiana
- Represented developer in acquisition of affordable housing portfolio in Tennessee
- Represented a large housing authority and affiliated nonprofit organization in the acquisition of controlling interests in several LIHTC developments using HOME and CDBG funds along with an applicable PILOT program.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of four affordable housing developments with tax-exempt bonds enhanced with an RD 538-insured loan and subordinated RD 515 loans and 4% LIHTCs.
- Represented nonprofit in assignment of partnership interests and subordinate mortgages in 13 project portfolio in Louisiana.
- Speaker, “Low-Income Housing Tax Credits: Program Principles & Moving Parts”, First American Title Insurance Company 2012 Commercial Seminar, Spring 2012.
- Speaker, “Local Housing Authorities and State Housing Finance Agencies — How to Work Together to Revitalize Communities”, NAHRO National Conference, Nashville, TN, July 2008.
- Co-Trainer, “Understanding the Basics of Tax Credits: An Overview”, NAHRO Professional Development Seminar, March 2008, June 2009.
- Instructor, Seminar: Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, NAHRO, Toledo, Ohio, April 2008.
- Instructor, Seminar: Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, NAHRO National Conference, Nashville, TN, July 2008.
- Numerous seminars on tax issues, including LIHTC development
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV Preeminent TM
- Member, American Bar Association, Tennessee Bar Association, and Nashville Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law and Section on Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
- Counsel, Tennessee Affordable Housing Coalition
- Counsel, Community Housing Developers Association of Tennessee
- ABA Property Tax Deskbook, Tennessee Chapter, Editions 1995-2010