- Has closed hundreds of real estate development transactions combining private financing with various state and federal funding sources.
- Served as lead real estate counsel to a publicly-traded company in its nationwide acquisition and development of real property.
- Represented a consortium of nonprofits in its application, structuring, and implementation of $30 million in competitive Neighborhood Stabilization Program 2 funds to stabilize neighborhoods through acquisition, rehabilitation and redevelopment of foreclosed, abandoned and vacant properties.
Hannah K.V. Cassidy
Nashville, TN Office
Hannah K. V. Cassidy is the Managing Member of Reno & Cavanaugh. In her role as managing member, Hannah leads the firm's management committee in strategic planning, firm administration, and practice development across offices. Hannah’s practice focuses on real estate development, with particular emphasis on public-private partnerships and projects combining private financing with various state and federal funding sources, such as tax credits, bonds, tax-increment financing, payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT) arrangements, AHP loans, federally-insured loans, and grants.
Hannah’s experience spans the full range of commercial, residential, industrial, and mixed use projects, and includes structuring programs to facilitate neighborhood redevelopment and affordable housing preservation. Examples of program structuring include:
- A pilot program for Section 8 to Homeownership administered by a non-profit partner of a participating jurisdiction;
- A flood relief program facilitating redevelopment in the wake of Nashville’s 2010 flood utilizing CDBG Disaster Recovery funds;
- Shared equity homeownership programs fostering long-term affordability and preservation of the public investment in affordable housing; and
- Redevelopment of an urban neighborhood by a foundation through partnership with multiple for-profit and non-profit partners.
Hannah has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Real Estate Law from 2010 to 2018, and has been elected to Mid-South Super Laywers® a number of times, most recently in 2018.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Panelist, Overview of Potential for Inclusionary Zoning in Tennessee, Tennessee Housing Development Agency Governor’s Housing Conference, Fall 2015
- Speaker, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits: Program Principles & Moving Parts, First American Title Insurance Company 2012 Commercial Seminar, Spring 2012
- Speaker, Gap Financing in 2011, National Housing and Rehabilitation Association 2011 Annual Meeting, February 2011
- Speaker, Successful Strategies for Winning NSP Round-II Funding, National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, May 2009
- Speaker, Securing Affordable Home Ownership after the Foreclosure Debacle: How and Why the Shared Equity, Urban Affairs Association, March 2009
- Speaker, Shared Equity, Governor’s Housing Summit, December 2008
Prior Work Experience
Before becoming an attorney, Hannah worked for Howell Associates, a real estate consulting firm in Washington, DC. There, she performed market and financial feasibility studies for market rate and affordable housing developments and assisted developers with applications to provide affordable housing to the elderly through HUD’s Section 202 program.
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- Martindale Hubbell Peer-Review Rated AV PreeminentTM
- Member, American Bar Association, Tennessee Bar Association, and Nashville Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development
- Magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Harvard University
- John W. Wade Scholar, Bennett Douglas Bell Memorial Prize, Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt University School of Law
- Past President of the Board of Trustees, St. Mary Villa
- Past Board Member, Exchange Club of Nashville
- Past Board Member, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Past Board Member, Woodbine Community Organization