- Deep experience defending against and negotiating resolutions to complicated HUD disposition and sensitive enforcement matters that preserve critical housing services consistent with HUD’s mission and objectives.
- Representation before the following HUD offices:
- Department Enforcement Center: Advise on issues prompted by scrutiny of audited financial statements and properties with physical inspection issues; resolve civil money penalties and program fraud civil remedy actions.
- OIG: Advise and resolve audits and investigations regarding program compliance matters.
- REAC: Advise and resolve audited financial statement review and physical inspection matters, including appeal submission and monitoring of inspector oversight and protocol.
- Multifamily Participation Review (MPR) matters, including representation before the MPR committee and prosecution of reconsideration requests.
- Office of Multifamily Housing, Public and Indian Housing, Office of Health Care Programs, Office of Healthy Homes, and Office of Fair Housing matters.
- Preservation of numerous affordable properties financed or insured by the Federal Housing Administration and/or assisted with rental assistance (including PBRA, PRAC, HCV, PBV) and/or tax credits (LIHTC and historic).
- Participate widely with industry associations and working groups, including collaborative endeavors with HUD officials regarding policies and procedures, program implementation and compliance matters.
Lisa A. Tunick
Washington, DC Office
Lisa A. Tunick is a Member whose practice focuses on providing comprehensive regulatory compliance advice and legal services to multifamily owners, management agents and developers of affordable housing. Lisa has extensive experience working with FHA-insured multifamily properties and Section 8 project-based assistance contracts, and advises on contractual obligations, renewal options, regulatory restrictions and repositioning opportunities. Lisa also engages in policy analysis, concentrating on proposed rules and legislative matters, and program evaluations.
Selected Representative Practice Areas
Major Prior Work Experience
- Owner, Solo Practitioner, Tunick Law LLC (Kensington, MD)
- Principal, Hessel, Aluise and Neun P.C. (Washington, DC)
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Dept. of HUD Office of General Counsel, Assisted Housing Division (Washington, DC)
- Legislative Aide, Maryland General Assembly (Annapolis, MD)
- Senior Associate, DRI/McGraw-Hill (Washington, DC)
- Market Research Analyst, National Geographic Society (Washington, DC)
- Research Associate, The Urban Institute (Washington, DC)
- Lisa speaks regularly before industry associations including the National Leased Housing Association, National Affordable Housing Management Association, LeadingAge and the American Bar Association, including:
- “HUD Hot Topics Update,” LeadingAge Maryland and DC’s #HousingHappenings Teleconference (December 18, 2019).
- “Hot Topics in Affordable and Independent Senior Housing,” LeadingAgeDC Conference, Washington, DC (October 2, 2019).
- “Multifamily Roundtable: Today’s Asset Management and Occupancy Hot Button Issues” (Moderator), NLHA 2019 Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (June 19, 2019).
- “All About Tenant Privacy Rights,” HDLI 2019 Spring Conference, Washington, DC (May 9, 2019).
- “HUD Asset Management Roundtable,” NLHA 2019 Mid-Year Meeting, Washington, DC (January 2019).
- Lisa also provides comprehensive customized training solutions to client groups on Fair Housing and compliance matters.
- “Navigating Recent Challenges in the Regulation of Affordable Housing by the Office of Multifamily Housing, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,” 26 Saint Louis University Public Law Review, Vol. 1, 63 (2007).
- Board Member, National Affordable Housing Management Association Education Foundation
- Member, National Affordable Housing Management Association
- Member, National Leased Housing Association
- Member, Southeastern Affordable Housing Management Association