Lisa A. Tunick
Washington, DC Office
Lisa Tunick is a member whose practice focuses on providing comprehensive regulatory compliance advice and legal services to multifamily owners, management agents and developers of affordable housing.
Selected Representative Practice Areas
- Deep experience defending against and negotiating resolutions to complicated HUD disposition and sensitive enforcement matters that preserve critical housing services consistent with HUD’s mission and objectives.
- Representation before the following HUD offices:
- Department Enforcement Center: Advise on issues prompted by scrutiny of audited financial statements and properties with physical inspection issues; resolve civil money penalties and program fraud civil remedy actions.
- OIG: Advise and resolve audits and investigations regarding program compliance matters.
- REAC: Advise and resolve audited financial statement review and physical inspection matters, including appeal submission and monitoring of inspector oversight and protocol.
- Multifamily Participation Review (MPR) matters, including representation before the MPR committee and prosecution of reconsideration requests.
- Office of Multifamily Housing, Public and Indian Housing, Office of Health Care Programs, Office of Healthy Homes, and Office of Fair Housing matters.
- Preservation of numerous affordable properties financed or insured by the Federal Housing Administration and/or assisted with rental assistance (including PBRA, PRAC, HCV, PBV) and/or tax credits (LIHTC and historic).
- Participate widely with industry associations and working groups, including collaborative endeavors with HUD officials regarding policies and procedures, program implementation and compliance matters
Major Prior Work Experience
- Tunick Law LLC, Kensington, MD; Owner, Solo Practitioner
- Hessel, Aluise and Neun P.C., Washington, DC; Principal
- U.S. Dept. of HUD, Washington, DC, Office of General Counsel, Assisted Housing Division; Attorney-Advisor
- Maryland General Assembly, Annapolis, MD, Legislative Aide
- DRI/McGraw-Hill, Washington, DC, Senior Associate
- National Geographic Society, Washington, DC; Market Research Analyst
- The Urban Institute, Washington, DC; Research Associate
- Lisa speaks regularly before industry associations including the National Leased Housing Association, National Affordable Housing Management Association, LeadingAge and the American Bar Association, and most recently presented as part of the HUD Asset Management Roundtable at NLHA’s Mid-Year Meeting, January 2019.
- Provides comprehensive customized training solutions to client groups
- “Navigating Recent Challenges in the Regulation of Affordable Housing by the Office of Multifamily Housing, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,” 26 St. Louis U. Pub. L. Review, Vol. 1, 63 (2007)
- Board Member, National Affordable Housing Management Association
- Member, National Leased Housing Association