Nashville, TN Office
Marcy Shelton is Of Counsel at Reno & Cavanaugh and has over 20 years of progressive experience in handling a variety of transactions on behalf of purchasers, sellers, lenders, and investors including acquisitions, sales and leases. Marcy has extensive experience and exceptional knowledge of real estate laws, title insurance underwriting practices and zoning laws and procedures. Her specialized experience includes representing buyers conducting due diligence in commercial real estate transactions, negotiating and drafting commercial and ground leases on behalf of landlords and tenants, and representing lenders in various kinds of secured transactions including workout situations involving special assets borrowers. Marcy’s practice also includes the representation of clients in litigation involving lease disputes, easement issues, and breach of contract matters.
Selected Recent Transactions
• Representation of closely held Alabama real estate company in acquisition and sale of Longhorn Steakhouse, acquisition of Mapco facility and Olive Garden property, including IRC Section 1031 exchanges and financing incident to the transactions.
• Representation of Tennessee partnership in acquisition of shopping center in Antioch, subsequent subdivision thereof, conduit loan secured by shopping center, and sale of part of the development.
• Representation of separate single purpose entities owning self- storage facilities in multi states as borrower’s counsel in defeasance of original loans and new loan facilities exceeding $12 million.
• Representation of local university in all real estate acquisitions and sales, creation of condominium regime, gifts of real estate to the university and new development of university properties.
• Served as special borrower’s counsel for various owners of multi-family housing facilities in Tennessee in loan transactions.
Representation of North Carolina entity in acquisition of Walgreen’s facility in Nashville.
Major Prior Work Experience
2000- 2015 – Attorney, Gullett, Sanford, Robinson & Martin, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee
• 1998-2000 – Attorney, Hartzog Silva & Davies, Franklin, Tennessee.
• 1993 -1998 – Attorney, Thomas N. Jones & Associates, Franklin, Tennessee.
• 1991-1993 – Attorney, Haynes, Hull & Reider, Tullahoma, Tennessee.
TAM Real Estate Law Conference. Hot Topics in Real Estate Law (2015); Title Insurance Issues (2011).
• Lorman Education Services. Real Estate Financing in Tennessee (2001)
• Institute for Paralegal Education. Managing the Residential Real Estate Closing for the Paralegal in Tennessee (2003)
• Nashville School of Law. Substitute lecturer for mortgages and real property law (2002-Present)
Awards, Community Activities, and Professional Activities
Brentwood Noon Rotary Club (Vice President, 2011-2012; Member, 2009-Present; Paul Harris Fellow)
• Martindale-Hubbell. AV® Peer Review Rated.
• Named a Nashville Top Lawyer in Real Estate and Banking, The Tennessean
• Tennessee Bar Association (1991 -1998 Delegate to Tennessee House of Delegates for the 21st Judicial District.)
• American Bar Association (Member, 1991- Present)
• Nashville Bar Association (Member, 2000 – Present)
• Lawyers Association for Women (Member, 2009-Present)
• Franklin Rotary Club at Noon (Immediate Past President, 2002-2003; President, 2001-2002; Secretary, 2000-2001; Treasurer, 1999-2000; Vice President, 1998-1999; Board Member, 1997-1999; Rotarian of the Year 1996-1997; Member 1993-2005; Rotarian of the Year 1996-1997).
• Historic Rugby (Current Board Member; Land Committee Member; Development Committee Member), Rugby, Tennessee.
• Downtown Franklin Association (Board Member, 1994-1997)
• Williamson County Prevention of Child Abuse (Board Member, 1995-1998)
• Campaign Committee for Honorable R. E. Lee Davies, Judicial Candidate for 21st Judicial District, State of Tennessee (2000 and 2006)
• Brentwood UMC (Member, 1994-Present; Sunday School Teacher, 2000-2006)