- Numerous engagements as counsel for federal grantees in audits, investigations, appeals, and suspensions/debarments
- Represented housing authority receivers in Washington, DC, Chester, PA, and Kansas City, MO
- Successfully represented clients in Administrative Procedure Act litigation against the United States
- Obtained a multi-million dollar recovery from a State Medicaid program for community health centers
- Successfully defended against a fair housing challenge to a $160 million public housing revitalization project
- Concilio de Salud Integral de Loiza, Inc., et al., v. Perdomo, 625 F.3d 15 (1st Cir. 2010)
- Concilio de Salud Inegral de Loiza, Inc., et al., v. Perdomo, 551 F.3d 10 (1st Cir. 2008)
- Dr. Jose S. Belaval, Inc. v. Perez-Perdomo, 488 F.3d 11 (1st Cir. 2007)
- Dr. Jose S. Belaval, Inc. v. Perez-Perdomo, 465 F.3d 33 (1st Cir. 2006)
- Darst-Webbe Tenant Ass’n Bd. v. St. Louis Housing Auth., 417 F.3d 898 (8th Cir. 2005)
- El Rio Santa Cruz Neighborhood Health Center, Inc. v. HHS, 396 F.3d 1265 (D.C.Cir. 2005)
- Counsel of record for HAI Group as amicus curiae in U.S. Supreme Court in Virginia v. Hicks, 539 U.S. 113 (2003)
Washington, DC Office
Robert A. Graham is the leader of R&C’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. He has a broad range of litigation experience including trial, appellate, and administrative representation. Robert specializes in representing a wide variety of mission driven organizations, including affordable housing providers, community health centers, and other organizations providing services to populations in need.
Robert was previously an associate at R&C from 1998 through 2003. He returned to the firm after practicing for 12 years at a boutique specializing in federal grants law. Earlier in his career, Robert served as a judicial clerk to the Hon. Eugene E. Siler of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and was a staff attorney at the Center for Auto Safety.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Presenter, RAD Issues on the HUD Inspector General’s Radar, HDLI Spring Conference, Arlington, VA, May 2018.
- Presenter, Front Burner Fair Housing Issues – Legal Treatment of Transgendered Persons & Gender Identity, Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing, National Origin and Disparate Impact Liability, and More! – Housing and Development Law Institute 2017 Spring Legal Conference, Washington, DC, May 2017
- Regular presenter on federal grants issues for Lorman Education Services
- Clinical Research Compliance Manual (co-author), Chapter 5 “Overview of Federal Grants Administration,” Aspen Publishers (2006)
- Clinical Research Compliance Manual (co-author), Chapter 7 “Key Grants Management and Accounting Issues,” Aspen Publishers (2006)
- Federally-Qualified Health Centers: From Safety Net Provider to Cornerstone of Health Reform? (co-author), 8 J. Health & Life Sci. L. 29 (Oct. 2014)
- Note, “The Constitution, The Legislature, and Unfair Surprise: Toward a Reliance-Based Approach to the Contract Clause,” 92 Mich. L. Rev. 398 (1993)
University of Michigan School of Law, J.D.
- Contributing Editor, Michigan Law Review
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, A.B in Political Science (cum laude) and French
District of Columbia Bar
Admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court
Admitted to practice in Federal trial and appellate courts nationwide