Washington, DC Office
Sarah Molseed specializes in working with housing authorities undertaking large redevelopment efforts—many that are either self-developing or who have little or no experience with public housing redevelopment. Sarah represents housing authorities in New Jersey, Ohio, Alabama, North Carolina, New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Closed the first mixed-finance transaction in Hawaii involving the substantial rehabilitation of over 500 units and utilizing $135 million in financing from the proceeds of tax-exempt bonds, PHA capital funds, and low-income housing tax credits (LIHTCs).
- Assisted a housing authority to negotiate and settle an extensive Office of Inspector General audit on the housing authority’s Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Closed a 48-unit development in Ohio involving HOPE VI funds, Tax Credit Exchange Program funds, Tax Credit Assistance Program funds and LIHTCs.
- Closed an 80-unit development in Ohio involving Tax Exempt Bonds, HOPE VI funds, LIHTCs and HOME funds.
- Assisted housing authorities in New York, Connecticut, Indiana, Ohio, and Florida to create and utilize a project-based voucher program.
- Negotiated and drafted master development agreements between a housing authority and two private developers for redevelopment of four public housing projects. Assisted this same client in educating the board of commissioners about mixed-finance transactions.
- Closed on a final phase of a 2002 HOPE VI redevelopment in Ohio utilizing HOPE VI funds, LIHTCs and project-based vouchers. Also worked with the housing authority and HUD to meet the HOPE VI expenditure deadline and otherwise close out the grant.
- Author, A Beginner's Guide to Project-Based Vouchers, American Bar Assocation Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, May 2015.
- Author, Keeping Watch: Protecting Public Housing Authorities’ Access to Counsel, ABA Journal of Affordable Housing, Volume 17, Number 4, Summer 2008.
- Author, An Ownership Society for All: Community Development Financial Institutions as the Bridge Between Wealth Inequality and Asset-Building Policies, Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law and Policy, Volume 13.3, Fall 2006.
- Presenter, “Rental Assistance Demonstration Program: Overview and Best Practices,” Ohio Housing Authorities Conference, Fall 2015 Conference, September 19, 2015.
- Author, “A Beginner’s Guide to Project-Based Vouchers” May 2015, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Speaker on Project-Based Vouchers, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, Washington, D.C, May 2015.
- Speaker on Project-Based Voucher, NLHA National Conference, February 2015.
- Presenter, Understanding the Recent Developments in the Project Based Voucher Program, NAHRO National Conference, October 2014
- Speaker, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing & Community Development Law Conference, Washington, DC, May 21-23, 2014.
- Presenter, on Mixed-Finance Development, HDLI Conference, Spring 2013.
- Presenter, on Project-Based Vouchers. ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, May 2013.
- Co-Trainer, Tax Credits and PHA Development, Pennsylvania Association of Housing and Redevelopment Associations State Conference, February 2013.
- Presenter, on Project-Based Section 8 Vouchers to the Fall NAHRO Conference and the HDLI Conference in Nashville, October 2012.
- Presenter, “Project-Based Voucher Programs.” Ohio Housing Authorities Conference Fall Conference, October 2011 and Spring Conference in May 2010.
- Presenter, “How to Audit Proof Your PBV Program.” PSWRC NAHRO 2011 Annual Spring Conference, May 2011.
- Panelist, “The Development Landscape for PHAs.” CLPHA conference, March 2011.
- Instructor, “Beyond the Basics: Mixed-Finance Development for Public Housing Authorities.” Seminar, NAHRO, July 2008, July 2009, October 2009, March 2010, October 2010, March 2011, July 2012.
- Moderator and Presenter, “Effective Handling of HUD and OIG Audits.” HDLI 2010 Spring Legal Conference, May 2010
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Certified Housing Development Finance Professional
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude
- Member, Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law and Policy
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- Virginia Bar