- Represented the lender on a new construction project in Harford County, Maryland with HUD-insured financing pursuant to a 221(d)(4) loan, coupled with short-term tax exempt bonds, low income housing tax credits, and subordinate financing provided by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development and Community Development Administration.
- Represented Arlington County in the selection of developers and negotiation of a land disposition and development agreement for the Crystal House Apartments project and in providing subordinate financing for affordable housing projects funding with construction financing, short-term tax exempt bounds, low-income housing tax credits and subordinate debt..
- Represented a Maryland housing finance agency in providing construction and permanent financing pursuant to its FHA-FFB Section 542(a) risk sharing program.
- Represented a non-profit organization in the acquisition and development of its office headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Represented a real estate developer in the refinancing of a residential housing project in Arlington, Virginia.
- Represented the lender on a portfolio of skilled nursing facilities in Massachusetts under HUD’s 232/223(f) LEAN loan program for long-term care facilities involving a master lease structure.
- Represented a non-profit developer in the restoration of a historic landmark located in the Reservoir Hill neighborhood of Baltimore City, Maryland.
- Represented a real estate developer in the development of a collegiate housing project in Durham, North Carolina.
Columbia, MD Office
Anne Schroth is a Member who focuses on complex affordable housing and community development financing and development. Anne advises clients in a variety of real estate transactions covering a wide range of developments, including affordable and mixed-income housing and mixed-use developments. Anne’s practice includes the representation of both lenders and borrowers in the acquisition, construction and refinancing of multifamily and healthcare facilities.
Selected Recent Transactions
Major Prior Work Experience
- Senior Counsel, Housing Authority of Baltimore City, Baltimore, MD
- Real Estate Associate, Ballard Spahr, LLP, Baltimore, MD
- Intern, Catholic Charities USA, Alexandria, VA
- Intern, Bridging the Gaps, Philadelphia Community Health Internship Program, Philadelphia, PA
- Intern, Carpenter House, Glassboro, NJ
- House Manager, L’Arche Daybreak, Toronto, Canada
- Speaker, “New Trends in HUD-FHA Lending,” Housing Credit Conference – Virginia Housing Alliance, Richmond, VA (September 18, 2018).
- Speaker, “LEAN Update,” Midwest Lenders Association Conference, Chicago, IL (October 13, 2015).
- Speaker, “LEAN Update,” Midwest Lenders Association Conference, Chicago, IL (June 17, 2014).
Awards, Community Activities And Professional Activities
- Member, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Phi Beta Kappa, Marquette University
- Charles J. Frankel Award in Health Law, University of Virginia School of Law
- South Baltimore Learning Center (SBLC)
- Board of Directors, 2007 – Present
- Board President, 2011 – 2015, 2022 - Present
- Board Secretary, 2009 – 2011
- Member of Executive Committee, Program Committee and Fund Development Committee, Co-Chair, 2008, 2009 and 2011 Galas
- Advisory Council, 2005 – 2006
- “FHA Lender’s Perspective,” Practitioner’s Guide to Secondary Financing in FHA Programs, published by the ABA’s Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development (2018)
(202) 349 2682
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice, M.S.W.
Marquette University, B.A., magna cum laude
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar