- Represents on an ongoing basis numerous private developers and public entities located across the U.S., including, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Nevada and Virginia in connection with the conversion of public housing units to Section 8 assistance pursuant to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program.
- Represented public entities in complex transactions pursuant to the Mixed-Finance and Choice Neighborhood Initiative programs involving various financing sources, including, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, tax-exempt bonds, public loans and grants in addition to conventional debt.
- Assisted in the representation of public and private entities on multiple transactions involving the acquisition and rehabilitation of public housing developments using Low-Income Housing Tax Credits.
- Assisted in the representation of a borrower in connection with obtaining and documenting a $63,165,000 loan pursuant to the Fixed Rate Freddie Mac CME Program secured by a luxury Multifamily/Mid-Rise property.
- Assisted in the representation of a borrower in connection with obtaining and documenting a $83,000,000 bridge loan secured by Multifamily property.
- Assisted in the representation of a borrower in connection with obtaining and documenting a $30,091,000 refinance of a development loan secured by mixed-use property.
- Advised national real estate developer on cybersecurity, data protection and data privacy issues.
- Routinely advises public housing authorities on general corporate governance, HUD regulatory compliance, non-profit entity formation and other legal matters.
- Advised national real estate developer on Fair Housing Act, Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act and other real estate marketing compliance issues.
- Assisted in the representation of a real estate developer in connection with the acquisition and financing of hotel and spa facility.
Washington, DC Office
Jonathan Flugstad’s practice is focused on commercial real estate transactions and the representation of public housing authorities, developers and investors in multifamily affordable housing developments. He routinely advises clients leveraging conventional financing with low-income housing tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, public subsidies and other sources to finance affordable housing. In addition, he brings significant governance and regulatory experience to the firm, having represented builders and developers in the preparation and filing of real estate offerings with HUD, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and various state regulatory agencies.
Selected Recent Transactions
Major Prior Work Experience
- Carmel & Carmel, P.C. – Represented real estate developers and investors in the development and marketing of luxury and mixed-use, commercial, residential and resort properties; Advise on the creation of (and conversion to) condominium or cooperative forms of ownership; Advise developers and builders on Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act, Truth in Lending Act and Fair Housing Act compliance matters.
- Aman Law Firm, P.A. – Representation of homeowners and lenders in all aspects of foreclosure and mortgage loan workouts; Assisted in the representation of real estate private equity fund’s acquisition of distressed commercial real estate assets; Successfully represented commercial tenant in appeal to the Florida Second District Court of Appeals; Organized and executed collection efforts on behalf of large master-planned communities.
Awards, Community, and Professional Activities
- Member, Real Estate, Housing and Land Use Community
- Member, Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Volunteer Legal Intern at Gulf Coast Legal Services in Tampa and Bradenton, Florida
- Volunteer Legal Intern at the Community Law Program, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Volunteer with CAN Futbol Foundation, Inc., a Tampa, FL based non-profit that seeks to empower youth through soccer and education
(202) 349 2444
Stetson University College of Law, J.D.
University of Oklahoma, Master of Arts in Political Science, cum laude
Valparaiso University, Bachelor of Arts in International Economics and Spanish
District of Columbia Bar