- Provide legal assistance structuring, financing and closing multifamily affordable housing developments for range of clients across the country including public housing authorities, nonprofit and for-profit developers, public agencies, and lenders.
- Represent major national bank as lender’s counsel on affordable housing transactions involving federal low income housing tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, HUD 202 and 811 funding, and other state and local funding sources.
- Possess expertise with all major affordable housing funding programs including Rental Assistance Demonstration program, FHA mortgage insurance, Section 8 project based rental assistance, HUD 202/811, HOPE VI, Choice Neighborhoods, Public Housing Capital and Operating funds, Moving-to-Work funding, federal low income housing tax credits, tax exempt bonds, HOME funds, CDBG funds, Federal Home Loan Bank Affordable Housing Program funds, Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds, ARRA funding and other public and private sources.
- Successfully represented clients in HUD-assisted affordable housing transactions across the country, including District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Indiana, Delaware, South Carolina, Hawaii, Montana, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Kentucky, Virginia, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, and Colorado.
- Provide legal assistance to housing authorities and other non-profit and for-profit entities related to organizational governance, HUD regulatory matters, operational issues, tax-exemption issues and other corporate matters.
Washington, DC Office
Martin Walsh is a Member who specializes in providing legal assistance structuring, financing and closing multifamily affordable housing developments for range of clients across the country including public housing authorities, nonprofit and for-profit developers, public agencies, and lenders. He is currently the managing member of the firm's Washington, DC office and a member of the firm's management committee.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Panelist, Exiting After Year 15: Policy and Practice, September 2018.
- Presenter, Tax Reform, Council for Large Public Housing Authorities, March 2018.
- Presenter, Veterans Affordable Housing Development, NAHRO, Pittsburgh, PA, October 2017.
- Presenter, HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration Program, Homes Within Reach Conference, Harrisburg, PA, November 2016.
- Presenter, Year 15 Transactions, United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, DC, 2016.
- Presenter, HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration Program, Homes Within Reach Conference, Harrisburg, PA, November 2014.
- Faculty, HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration Program, American Bar Association Boot Camp, Philadelphia, PA, September 18, 2014.
- Presenter, HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration Webinar, Washington, DC April 23, 2013.
- Instructor, Beyond the Basics: Mixed-Finance Development for Public Housing Authorities, Seminar, NAHRO, Louisville, Kentucky, July 2011.
- Panelist, The Development Landscape for PHAs, CLPHA conference, March 2011.
- Instructor, Mixed-Finance Development for Public Housing Authorities, Seminar, NAHRO, Washington, DC, March 2011.
- Speaker, Mixed-Finance Development, Midwest NAHRO Conference, Indianapolis, IN, April 2010.
- Instructor, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, NAHRO National Conference, Portland, OR, July 2009.
- Speaker, Tax Credits “101”, Housing Justice Network, Washington, DC, December 2008.
- Speaker, Public Housing Authority Affiliates and Instrumentalities, Housing Development Law Institute, October 2008.
- Instructor, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, NAHRO National Conference, Nashville, TN, July 2008.
- Moderator, Avoiding Sticky Situations: Key Points to Successful Development by PHAs and PHA Instrumentalities, NAHRO National Conference, Nashville, TN, July 2008.
- Instructor, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, NAHRO, Toledo, OH, April 2008.
- Speaker, Introduction to New Markets Tax Credits, Key Bank, November 2007.
- Speaker, Smooth Sailing with Mixed Use Projects and New Markets Tax Credits, NAHRO Professional Development Seminar, October 2007.
- Speaker, New Markets Tax Credits 101, Housing Association of Nonprofit Developers, September 2007.
Awards, Community Activities And Professional Activities
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014-2020 in the field of Real Estate Law
- Independence Foundation Public Interest Legal Fellowship
- Penn State University Big Ten Scholar/Athlete Award, Phi Beta Kappa