- Representation of developers in the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland, and across the country in mixed-use, mixed-credit, and mixed-income projects that include market-rate and affordable residential components as well as retail and other uses, including projects subject to ground leases from local governments and other public entities, and utilizing low-income housing tax credits, tax-exempt and conventional debt, and other private and public capital sources, and assisted by project-based HAP contracts and other similar rental assistance.
- Representation of the purchasers and sellers of various apartment projects subsidized by various housing agencies including USDA Rural Development, HUD, and state tax credit agencies.
- Representation of a California housing authority on the residential and commercial aspects of the major redevelopment of a 700-unit public housing project into a 1,400 unit-mixed use development combining affordable and market-rate housing, parks, community amenities and commercial and retail space.
- Representation of public housing authorities in public housing conversions and financing under HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.
Washington, DC Office
Matthew Greeson is a Member who focuses on complex real estate transactions, including transactions that combine affordable housing, market-rate residential, and commercial uses. He represents developers, property owners, investors, landlords, and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of a wide variety of real estate instruments including debt and equity instruments, ground leases and other conveyance documents, governmental disposition agreements, purchase and sale agreements, leases, and other related agreements. Matt closes transactions employing public-private partnership initiatives for acquisition and development and utilizing low-income housing tax credits, tax-exempt and conventional debt, and other private and public capital sources.
Major Prior Work Experience
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, Associate
- ABA Affordable Housing and Community Development Forum
- DC Building Industry Association
- Housing Association of Nonprofit Developers (HAND)
- Virginia Housing Alliance
- NH&RA, June 6, 2022, “Southwest DC Spotlight” panelist
- Bisnow, April 23, 2020, “Maintaining Affordability During the Coronavirus” moderator
- Housing Association of Non-Profit Developers (HAND), April 14, 2020, “Soup-to-Nuts: Year 15 and Year 30 Preservation Strategies, Structures, and Financing” moderator
- DC Building Industry Association, October 1, 2019, “Opportunity Zone 101” presenter
- Virginia Housing Credit Conference, September 25, 2019, “Best Practices for Mixed Use Developments” presenter