- Representation of public housing authorities and developers in converting public housing to Section 8 assistance under the HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.
- Representation of public housing authorities in closing transactions under the Mixed-Finance and Choice Neighborhoods Initiative programs.
- Representation of developers in the District of Columbia and Maryland in mixed-use projects, including projects subject to ground leases from local governments.
- Representation of developers in the District of Columbia in developing affordable assisted living communities for seniors.
- Representation of developer in Ohio in development of a grocery store cooperative and community center in a USDA-designated food dessert with financing including New-Market Tax Credits, HOPE VI funds, and public and philanthropic grants.
- Representation of public housing authorities and developers with respect to major affordable housing funding programs including RAD, Section 8 project-based rental assistance, HOPE VI, Choice Neighborhoods Initiative, Public Housing Capital and Operating funds, Moving to Work funds, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, tax-exempt bonds, HOME funds, CDBG funds, Federal Home Loan Bank Affordable Housing Program funds, and other public and private sources.
- Representation of housing authorities and developers related to organizational governance, HUD regulatory matters, operational issues, entity structure and formation issues, and other corporate matters.
- Representation of developers in the District of Columbia in conversion of rental units to condominium structure.
Washington, DC Office
Nydia Pouyes is an associate who represents public housing authorities and non-profit and for-profit developers in complex affordable housing development transactions involving a wide variety of funding sources, including Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, tax-exempt bonds, conventional debt, Public Housing Capital and Operating funds, and state and local funds. She provides legal assistance in structuring, financing, and closing affordable housing developments across the country. She also assists with regulatory issues concerning affordable housing development. Nydia brings a wealth of experience in both the public and private sector to her clients.
Selected Recent Transactions
Major Prior Work Experience
- The Harbane Company, Principal
- Ballard Spahr LLP, Associate
- District of Columbia Housing Authority, Office of the General Counsel
- Author, “Beginner’s Guide to Fair Housing,” ABA's Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development, May 2016.
- Co-Author of “Cross-Cutting Requirements” Chapter, Navigating HUD Programs: A Practitioner’s Guide to the Labyrinth, ABA's Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development, May 2012.