- Closed more than 20 transactions on behalf of housing authorities creating more than 1000 units of affordable housing in the state of Ohio utilizing a broad array of financing sources including mixed finance, RAD, project based vouchers, FHA financing, HOPE VI funds, low income housing tax credit, HOME funds, State of Ohio HDAP and R-TCAP funds, tax exempt bonds, public housing fund loans and conventional financing.
- Closed the first mixed-finance transaction in Hawaii, involving the substantial rehabilitation of over 500 units and utilizing $135 million in financing from the proceeds of tax exempt bonds, PHA capital funds, and low-income housing tax credits.
- Assisted housing authorities in multiple states throughout the country create and utilize a project-based voucher program.
- Negotiated and drafted master development agreements between a housing authority and two private developers for redevelopment of four public housing projects. Assisted this same client in educating the Board of Commissioners about mixed-finance transactions.
Washington, DC Office
Sarah Molseed specializes in working with owners, developers and housing authorities on complex real estate development transactions as well as operational issues involving HUD. Sarah also assists housing authorities - many who have little or no experience with public housing redevelopment – to undertake self-development roles in repositioning their portfolios.
Selected Recent Transactions
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “RAD Hot Topics” 2018 Affordable Housing and CED Bootcamp, Boston, MA, October 2018.
- Presenter, “Section 8 Fundamentals” ABA Bootcamp, Phoenix, AZ, February 2018.
- Presenter, Plenary Session, Developments in Project Based Vouchers, National Leased Housing Association, June 2017
- Moderator, Public and Assisted Housing: Challenges and Opportunities, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Annual Conference, May 2017
- Presenter, “Work/Life Balance: Committing to Your Career and Your Health” ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Teleconference, April 2017
- Presenter, “Implementing the Housing Opportunities Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA), ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Teleconference, February 2017
- Presenter, “RAD and its Implementation: Closing a RAD Deal”, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Bootcamp, October 2016
- Presenter, “Rental Assistance Demonstration Program: Overview and Best Practices,” Ohio Housing Authorities Conference, Fall 2015 Conference, September 2016.
- Speaker on Project-Based Vouchers, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, Washington, D.C, May 2015.
- Presenter on Section 8 Transfers, Ohio Housing Council, Fall Symposium, October 2013
- Presenter, on Mixed-Finance Development, HDLI Conference, Spring 2013.
- Presenter, “How to Audit Proof Your PBV Program.” PSWRC NAHRO 2015 Annual Spring Conference, May 2015.
- Instructor, “Beyond the Basics: Mixed-Finance Development for Public Housing Authorities.” Seminar, NAHRO, July 2008, July 2009, October 2009, March 2010, October 2010, March 2011, July 2012.
- “A Practitioner’s Guide to Project-Based Vouchers” May 2018, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- “A Beginner’s Guide to Project-Based Vouchers” May 2015, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Author, Keeping Watch: Protecting Public Housing Authorities’ Access to Counsel, ABA Journal of Affordable Housing, Volume 17, Number 4, Summer 2008.
- Author, An Ownership Society for All: Community Development Financial Institutions as the Bridge Between Wealth Inequality and Asset-Building Policies, Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law and Policy, Volume 13.3, Fall 2006
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- Member of Governing Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Certified Housing Development Finance Professional
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude
Creighton University, B.S.B.A., summa cum laude
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar (inactive)
- Virginia Bar (inactive)