- Battino & Sokolow PLLC—Represented an array of property owners and property management companies, with a focus with those providing affordable housing or subsidized housing, in all aspects of litigation, mediations and administrative agency hearings. Resolved civil disputes arising from the D.C. Rental Housing Act, the Fair Housing Act, HUD regulations, and other statutes related to residential housing. Apprised corporate and individual clients of new legislation and regulations and create policies to minimize noncompliance issues. Drafted and negotiated residential and commercial leases and sales contracts, and advised investors on local and federal regulatory and statutory requirements for property ownership and management.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Laura A. Cordero, D.C. Superior Court—Managed Judge Cordero’s civil and domestic violence calendars by researching and analyzing substantive and procedural legal issues and making recommendations regarding legal decisions. Collaborated with other court agencies to improve the efficiency of Judge Cordero’s court hearings.
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc.—Represented nonprofits in joint ventures with local government and investors to construct affordable housing. Negotiated with local government regarding commercial leases, service agreements, and other projects aimed at revitalizing distressed neighborhoods. Drafted memoranda advising clients on corporate ethics, and local and federal housing regulations.
Washington, DC Office
Vivianette Velázquez is an associate whose practice focuses primarily on counseling public housing authorities, non-profits and developers on a variety of real estate matters, including structuring and closing mixed-finance and affordable housing transactions.
Major Prior Work Experience
Awards, Community And Professional Activities
- DC Bar Real Estate, Housing, and Land Use Section
- Co-Chair of the Latino Alumni Association of American University, Washington College of Law
- Member of the Hispanic Bar Association-D.C.
- ADVANCE Mentoring Program
(202) 349 2474
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Articles Editor-American University Business Law Review
University of Florida, B.A. in History; Italian minor, and Eastern European minor, cum laude
District of Columbia Bar
Also admitted to practice in the United States Disctrict Court for the District of Columbia